Wednesday, March 30, 2011

End of the summer season - primal learnings

So that's it, Summer is done. Wistful Autumn is here!

What primal mindfuls do I have so far?

  1. You can have too much of a good thing. I tend to think of myself as a mindful eater, but it's still easy to fool yourself into thinking you are in control when really you ain't! It's always good to step back and take a look at the bigger picture to see the real story. The same for training - I tried to gulp down as much outdoor primal activity as I could, but I needed more balance to get the most out of it.
  2. Barefoot versus Shoes. It turns out for me it's not a war of two philosophies, rather it is about "if the shoe fits". By that I mean; barefoot is great for some things, like feeling good on your feet outdoors, and training more in tune with nature, and developing strength that you can't do with shoes. But shoes are a performance aid, and when you want to attack an event that requires foot protection - the shoe fits.
  3. Renewed respect for nature. I love it and fear it. Playing in nature is one of the greatest things in life, but it can bite you back when you least expect it. 
  4. You need to speed up and slow down. My current thinking; CrossFit training gets you more comfortable with the uncomfortable, whereas Primal training is a bit more"zen". I think the intensity of CrossFit (or other aggressive sports) and the  flow of Primal training (or MovNat, or other chilled or exploratory sports) are both required for true balance.
So over Autumn I will be in search of balance, that's what all the above is really about after all...